Monday 18 October 2010

Baby Steps

Maybe it's still a bit too early to talk about it, as in poker (and mostly everything else, I guess) things should be looked at in the long term. But following my "enlightenment" post, shall I call it, I've been at least having a lot more fun and a lot less stress playing poker. As I said before, all that really matters to me right now as a poker player is making the fewest possible mistakes. With every little decision, I aim for the best course of action, taking into account as many variables as I possibly can.

So far so good and I feel I definitely brought my game up a notch in these last few days. I'm more concentrated, more relaxed and feel able to see more clearly into each hand. One thing I somehow struggled a lot with before was that I took a lot of actions without "straightening things out" in my mind. Meaning that a lot of the time, I was betting X or raising or checking without really thinking about it, without coming to a sort of quick peace with myself that that decision was the best one to make, as far as I could see. I was acting a lot on feel and impulse and while "feel" is invaluable for the poker player, it's just not enough by itself.

Now I'm taking a bit more time thinking things through and feel more and more confident with each move I make. I'm not always doing the right thing but at least the time I'm not spending cursing about bad beats can now be best applied thinking about what I did wrong and saving a mental note about it so I can try and make a better decision the next time a similar spot comes up.

Results wise - not that they matter, right? ;-) - I'm slightly positive since that post last Friday and playing at a comfortable level. Taking things easy and aiming to put a lot of hours till the end of the month for rakeback purposes. If I break even at the tables, it'll still be nice because of the rakeback, so that's the best I'm hoping for.

No comments:

Post a Comment