Saturday 17 July 2010

NL10 Day #2 - Part II

And at last, a losing session. It's weirdly encouraging to know that a negative session precisely when I didn't play my best poker at the time. It encourages me because it makes me confident that playing A-game is definitely the most important thing, especially in the long run.

Won one pot without showdown before the flop after I 4-bet all-in from the SB with KQo based on a read I had. It worked, but could have easily gone really wrong. I did NOT want a call on that spot... Earlier on, I had JJ in UTG, raised 3BB, 3-bet from button and I flat call. Flop comes 289, two hearts, and I check-raise all-in, again based on read. Unfortunately I was really wrong, as he snap-called me with KK and, as poker loves donks, I rivered a J to double up. Yes, I apologized on the chat box... didn't deserve that one!

On the negative side, single-handedly responsible for this being a losing session, were two pots where I got stacked-off, or shall I say, I stacked myself off, if that even makes sense. In the first, I have a huge losing fish on my left whom I'm waiting for the right spot to exploit. In this hand, I'm on the CO holding AsTc, he's BTN, it's folded to me, I raise 2.5BB, villain flats, both blinds fold. Flop comes 5TQ rainbow, I c-bet 2/3 of the pot, standard, he again flats, after taking a while to make the call. I'm definitely not putting him on a Q and I believe I have the best hand at this point. Turn is a 7, two diamonds on the table now and despite the possible flush draw, this card looks pretty much like a brick to me so I fire a second, almost pot-sized, bullet of $1.20 to a $1.45 pot. My opponent again calls and I'm kinda clueless right now about he may be holding, but I believe he's holding a weaker Tx or even A5, typical of fishes calling every street at these stakes. River is a 9d, putting three diamonds on the board. I wasn't worried about the diamonds but this makes a possible flush, so I bet again for value, but only a third of the pot, maybe out of a little weakness on my part. My opponent goes instantly all-in, another behavior typical of a big fish and instead of taking the cautious route and accept that maybe I read this one wrong, I decided to go with my gut feeling and my read and called. He shows me AdKd to take all my chips. Hard to see this one coming...

The other bad hand is a good example of psychology gone wrong, in which I enter a new table and instantly get KK. There's a raise and someone flats it and I go immediately all-in for $10, trying to cause the impression that I'm a huge maniac and hoping that someone calls me with [AK-AJ,QQ-TT]. And someone did! What really screwed it all up was an A spiking up right on that flop and the caller holding AQ offsuit! So I'm out of chips and again rebuying...

Even if I do believe that I was a little unlucky in both cases, maybe I should have been more cautious, especially in the last hand. I should have 3-bet pre-flop and probably would've folded on the flop with that A and a show of strength of my opponent, making me lose minimum. Ah well...

Positive thing also is that this session allowed me to collect a 1,500 yearly VPPs bonus from Stars, worth $10. I wasn't aware how this works and when I figured out I could get $10 from the VIP store directly into my account I noticed the 750 VPP bonus sitting there waiting for me as well. Nice. Also broke the 1k hands barrier in this session. 1/10 of the challenge is done.

Session stats:

Minutes Played: 122.0
Hands: 331
Winnings: EUR -5.35
VPIP/PFR/AF/3Bet%: 22.2/14.8/2.73/5.8

No comments:

Post a Comment